2013-03-02

Indian food anyone?

So after a whole week of sickness here I have not been able to get much done, the couch still sits half way done in my living room and I have only done one small painting project this week since it was warm.
On the other hand I have done a lot of reading and as I mentioned on my last post I read my entire Ayurvedic cookbook.
Well after venturing to the Sprouts market for some new spices I did not own, I was set to cook my first Indian meal.
I was curious to use some of these spices I have never even heard of, I mean cumin and turmeric are regulars in my kitchen but fenugreek seeds? Hing? no clue what those were.
I had to relabel some of my old spice containers and I was set, good thing the Sprouts market sells most of these for $.99 an ounce, just in case I did not like some of them.
For the Hing ( white container) and the mustard seeds I had to go to an Indian store. But they were not expensive at all.

So after much reading I decided to make a simple vegetable curry ( tridoshic, meaning ok, for all body types)

Now the recipes call for like 2 teaspoons of each seed for most of these foods, since I was a bit skeptical as to what this would taste like I doubled the veggies and yogurt and kept the same amount of spices, it did turn out pretty mild but still very fragrant .
The recipe .

Vegetable curry

1 cup fresh green peas ( I used frozen)
1 cup carrots diced
1 cup potatoes diced
2 cups string beans or asparagus cut into 1inch pieces
2 tablespoons sunflower oil or ghee ( clarified butter)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 cup yogurt ( I used whole milk one since I think it's less evil than soy)

Heat oil or ghee in a large skillet. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the turmeric. Then add all veggies and water ( if using frozen peas add at the end, when all the other veggies are almost done). Cook covered until veggies are tender about 15 minutes. Then add yogurt and rest of ingredients, stirring well. Simmer uncovered on low heat for another 15 minutes.
Serve over basmati rice.

Now there were a few procedures that were foreign to me, here. Like I never knew cooking with seeds adds more flavor and fragrance to the foods than using the powdered form, interesting but omg my house smelled wonderful after making the rice and frying the seeds for the curry! I loved it, my kids were like " Mom, what is cooking??" lol . I also did not know that adding the spices before the ingredients makes the flavor even richer and better, eh live and learn. I also would have never mixed 2 starches like potatoes and rice, but they were very good together.
The yogurt adds the cooling effect, especially for Pitta bodies like mine. Interesting.
If you are vegan use soy yogurt , I just do not eat anything soy, so I rather go for a good organic whole milk one or make my own but I did not have the time, so I bought it.
Beware, when the seeds start popping have the next ingredients ready or they pop everywhere and make a mess lol, yeah again, live and learn.

Here are the ingredients I used double the veggies, except the asparagus and I doubled the yogurt and the water, I kept the spices the same but could have used a bit more.


Here is the book if you care to check it out. My skillet turned yellow and even after I washed it, it has a tint to it , so maybe have a designated pan to cook with turmeric and curry since it stains a bit .
The result was very nice, a mild dish and comforting for a cold night.
Anyway let's hope this week is much more productive than the last and that we manage to stay healthy!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment